Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Dragonflies, spaceships & those neverending office works.

A few weeks back, I was given the task of designing a logo for our PE-PATUNG Group, or at least to come up with some design proposals that can be modified later by the other PE-PATUNG members. After all these years working as a 3d Illustrator and using graphic software all day at work, I always knew that graphic logos weren't really my thing, but still it is something that has to be done somehow for the sake of this group.

My first step on that matter was to download some images of some dragonflies.... never expect that there are so many species of these insects. Later, I imagined myself as a robotic dragonfly, flying around enjoying my little robo-insect life, hopping around a little here and there on some metallic branches of some unknown alien type trees and moments later, viola!... ideas & images began to pop up in my head.

But that was then, at the beginning of the process. A few days later, after developing some weird looking shapes in Photoshop, office job began to pour in like crazy since last week and I was stuck with a halfway done robo-dragonfly drawn in a plan view. Far away from what I've imagined earlier which was supposed to be a logo with some sort of 3 dimensional view.

As an alternative, I've decided to used some of Rampage Studio's older, unused works, hoping to recycle it somehow to make it look acceptable enough to become a logo with that robotic dragonfly touch. This is where I need all the help I can get from the other creative peoples at PE-PATUNG Group. Its always been a team effort after all.

So, here it is, originally this was a personal spaceship design project that I came up with sometime about a year ago. Supposed to be for some sort of a space strategy game thing but it never happened. Sorry about the watermark and low resolution images, which is necessary at this point as a protective measure because these are work-in-progress protected materials. There are actually 2 different design of ships belonging to 2 clans at war, but I will only post one which is more suitable for the development of the logo. The other design is also a bit lame and embarrassing so I'll just keep it in my hard disc for now.


This is the Battle Cruiser.
As you can see, the front portion of the ship is highly inspired by The Imperial Cruiser from Star Wars. I was thinking to modified the rear end of this ship to make the head part of the robotic dragonfly, and some modification on the wings to make it look more insect-like. Hope this will work.


The second ship here is the Carrier. Just a slight improvisation of the Battle Cruiser which I haven't got the chance to finished but I think it still looks alright as an unsymmetrical ship design... and yes that landing deck thingy was inspired by none other than the Pegasus from Battlestar Galactica. Haven't really decide yet what I can salvage from this one to be use on the logo. The landing deck's arm will be the dragonfly's legs perhaps.


This third image is just a close up view of those ships, showing the clan's insignia. Haven't got the chance to fully develop any story lines behind these designs during that time, so I just put the insignia as Clan Rampage. All these drawings were done fully in Photoshop 7, with standard effects and filters without any additional plug-ins.

Well, thats about it for this post. Hope to get all things in order after this. PE-PATUNG really need its own blog space up and running soon.

Wassalam...

2 comments:

  1. TAK JAHAT!
    Atau bahasa orang putihnya
    NOT BAD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks bluepeaceful... means a lot coming from a fellow 3d designer

    ReplyDelete